3.19.2015

"I'm going to marry him"

Ugh...how could I possibly pay attention in Nutrition class when Randy was only hours away from touching ground after two (LONG) years preaching the gospel to the folks in Oklahoma City. I texted my mom, "I can't even pay attention."

 "Do you want me to come get you and we'll go to the airport?"

 "NO! He doesn't even want me there plus I have a meeting in a few hours."

 "Then pay attention." 

"Ya, that's not happening." 

 "I'm on my way."


I was in Rexburg Idaho at the time attending BYU-Idaho and my mom drove 45 minutes to come get me and take me to the airport.

Before Randy left on his mission, I was head over heels in love with him. Did I know what love was?? Probably not...I was a junior in high school. But I did cry two weeks straight after he left so it had to be love right??? ;)

He didn't ask me to wait for him because I was young and he honestly thought I would be married by the time he returned (especially if I was attending BYU-I do!)

But nearing the end of his mission, I would ask him what the future held in store for us and HE WOULDN'T ADDRESS THE QUESTION! His mom asked if I was going to the airport and I told her probably not because he wouldn't tell me if he wanted me there and I just didn't want to be in the way. It was best if I wasn't there and it was just his family.

Once I got to the airport, my heart was beating. His mom and his best friends mom (him and his BFF came home together. How cute is that?? ;) ) were unpatiently waiting by the doors. I was shaking uncontrollably. What would he think when he saw me there? Did he even want me there? What if he thinks I'm a fat, ugly, freak?? Totally rational thoughts right??









As he came down those stairs, I started bawling....like tears streaming down my face. I turned to my mom and I said, "I LOVE HIM....I'm going to marry him." She started boobing like a baby too.

After he greeted his family and friends, it was finally my turn. I wanted him to hug me SO bad....but ya...this happened....




An awkward handshake...(I was probably giving him crazy eyes and all I'm thinking is "HUG ME DANGIT!")



He had made a promise that if I was at the airport that he wouldn't hug me, but only shake my hand because he was still an elder. And you know what? I absolutely respect that promise now. He is a man of his word and he understood the sanctity of his calling as an elder. 
(He would later come up to Rexburg after he was released and it felt like he had never left.)

I can't believe it's been 5 years since I saw him walk down those stairs. I thought I loved him then but oh boy. Now I truly know what love is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment